Colorado Springs, CO asked in Probate for Minnesota

Q: If my father passed away without a will am i entitled to an inheritance?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Robert Kane
Robert Kane
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Eagan, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: It seems reasonable, but I assume there are facts you have not mentioned.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Minnesota, if a person passes away without a will (intestate), the distribution of their assets is determined by the state's intestate succession laws. These laws dictate how the deceased person's estate is divided among their surviving relatives. Typically, spouses and children are the primary beneficiaries.

If your father passed away without a will, the distribution of his assets would depend on his surviving relatives. If he was married, his spouse would usually be entitled to a significant portion of the estate. If he had children, they would also likely be entitled to a share of the estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.