Dallas, TX asked in Estate Planning for Washington

Q: My mom has a house in Port Angeles WA but resides in Dallas. We would like to do a TOD but I can’t find a free form

The will is being drawn up in Dallas tx. The lawyer here suggested the WA house have a TOD deed and it would be all that was needed. She doesn’t think I need a second will since the only property is the house in WA. I’d like to confirm that is true.

Also, I can’t find a FREE TOD form anywhere online. Can that form be notarized in Texas for the TOD in WA? The pay$forms seem to say notary is in WA but my mom and her lawyer/notary are in TX.

Can you link me to a form and answer these couple of questions?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: If the only property that will be part of her estate is the WA house, then she does not need a will. She needs a WA attorney to draft a Deed conveyance now. It could be a life estate/remainder deed or whatever she wants to do with the house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.