Boyne City, MI asked in Family Law for Michigan

Q: Can my ex take the brakes off my truck in MY name if he paid for the brakes?

I got a truck from my dad when he passed, and my fiance uses the truck so he put new brakes and swapped the transmission. He said if I leave him he's taking the brakes and the transmission out because he bought them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In most situations, if your ex paid for specific upgrades or repairs to a vehicle that is in your name, they might not have the legal right to remove those parts. Once those parts are installed on the vehicle, they generally become part of the vehicle's overall value and cannot be easily removed without your consent. However, it's essential to consider the specifics of your situation, including any written agreements or understandings between you and your ex regarding these upgrades.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.