Sicklerville, NJ asked in Real Estate Law and Construction Law for New Jersey

Q: Contractor is refusing to submit the last pieces of paperwork to the county to obtain the CO, what is my next steps?

We hired a septic contractor April 22' - the matter at hand is that the contractor was pumping the old septic tank into the one, I called the county to advise if that was to code and they said it wasnt. The contractor got mad at me. At the end of everything they were trying to charge me $1000 for the last draw. $300 of that was considered for a pump fee. I told him I didnt feel like I should have to pay that $300 since they didnt pump anything out. He waived the $300. Now, almost 6 months later the county is requesting a document from the contractor / letter saying that the contractor pumped it out. I already told the contractor I would have no issue with paying him to actually come pump it OR another company to do it, since he admitted to me he doesnt have a pump truck if that what it takes to write the letter but He has been dodging me for weeks.

Im confused as to what my next steps are and if i put $ on a lawyer, would i ever ssee that back

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Your only real solution is to retain an experienced civil litigation attorney. If a letter does not get the problem resolved, then you will need to engage in litigation. Pick the best attorney you can find and remember one rule: a good attorney is generally never cheap, and a cheap attorney is generally never good so don't choose based on price. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.