Jersey City, NJ asked in Civil Litigation and Real Estate Law for New Jersey

Q: Fort Lee, NJ Coop building - active leaks from units above AC system, damage to our ceiling , Coop delays repair

NJ Coop building : For past 6 weeks and this problem existed a year ago, the AC system in apartment unit above us leaks. The water first dripped through AC unit , walls but now it seriously damaged ceiling, and continues to leak. Coop management & maintenance delays repair work, and their excuse is that nothing can be done to fix and repair the AC system, until AC in whole building is turned off for summer season. Meaning I need to wait for at least 4 more weeks and hope that ceiling does not collapse and room does not get flooded from active leak. I am completely hopeless in this case and cannot enforce management to stop the leak ASAP. Had already contacted Board and President twice , but all not effective . Coop just knows that nothing can be done at this time and I need to continue to wait. Please advise on what can be done in this case.

1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You really need to retain an experienced civil litigation attorney and file suit against the coop board ,the President and possibly the unit owner above you. Many of these HOA, coop, and condo boards are either corrupt or engage in improper self-dealing. I routinely advise my clients to avoid purchasing any property that has one of these organizations. Pick the best attorney you can find and remember one rule: a good attorney is generally never cheap, and a cheap attorney is generally never good so don't choose based on price. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.