Proctorville, OH asked in Criminal Law for Kentucky

Q: I was arrested for shoplifting at walmart for $69.

I was arrested and released on ROR the same night. I go to court Friday. I have no priors. How does court work? How does getting a court appointed lawyer work? What are likely outcomes?

Thanks so much.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: At the arraignment, you'll learn about the charges against you and have the opportunity to enter a plea. If you can't afford a lawyer, you can request a court-appointed attorney. If eligible, one will be provided to represent you. Following this, your case might proceed to a pre-trial conference, where your attorney and the prosecutor discuss the case and potential plea deals. Many cases are resolved through negotiation, and if an agreement can't be reached, it may go to trial. For a first-time shoplifting offense with no prior criminal record, you might receive probation, fines, community service, or a combination of these, rather than jail time, depending on the specifics of your case and the court's discretion.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You’ll go to arraignment and plead not guilty. It is at this point you’ll ask the court to appoint you a lawyer. Your lawyer will most likely be able to get it diverted or dismissed since you have no record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.