Willingboro, NJ asked in Car Accidents and Consumer Law for New Jersey

Q: Last year I got a 1099 form from GMC Financial for $1000, this is for late charges I owed on a car loan.

I filed it on my taxes as income. Now that they car has been totaled in an accident, they refuse to release the title because of this $1000 in late charges. Per GM rep there is interest on late charges. I never heard of this. If they charged it off and I had to claim as income, why do I have to pay it again. Isn't this double dipping? What legal recourse do I have. I need to resolve this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You are going to need to retain an experienced civil litigation attorney. You can expect to pay an attorney for 1/2 to one hour of attorney time to review the documents and explain your options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.