Asked in Contracts, Collections and Small Claims for Arkansas

Q: If I sold my camper to my brother-in-law and he has not made the payments in 2 months can I repossess it?

2 Lawyer Answers

A: Only if you retained a security interest in the camper at the time of sale.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: n most cases, you will need to provide written notice to your brother-in-law, notifying him of the default and giving him an opportunity to make the overdue payments within a specified period. If this fails to resolve the issue, you may need to pursue legal procedures, such as filing a replevin action in court, to recover the camper.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.