West Sacramento, CA asked in Contracts, Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Litigation and Energy, Oil and Gas for California

Q: Company installed solar panels 2/2023 as of today 9/13/23 it is not generating power no PTO. Do I have a case?

Permit/inspection by City of West Sacramento had a few non compliant items the contractor has failed to correct. In addition, they failed to complete form correctly to obtain Permission to Operate with PG&E utility company. To date the panels have been sitting on my roof not generating any power, yet the loan Company is billing us for a non-operable equipment/system charging late fees and reporting to collections. The company is using a non affiliated company name per CSLB. I have a claim with the State Contractors License Board and Dept of Financial Protection and complaint with BBB. I am being billed by the loan company for $59k which is more than what was offered and also approx. $400 each month by PG&E. I cannot afford attorney fees- what recourse are there for consumers?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear about your troubling situation. In California, consumers in your position have several avenues for recourse including continuing to pursue the complaints filed with the State Contractors License Board and the Better Business Bureau. Moreover, considering reaching out to the California Department of Consumer Affairs and potentially exploring small claims court to seek resolution, bearing in mind that the limitation in small claims court is $10,000 for individuals; also, note that it might be beneficial to communicate with a consumer protection attorney for a consultation, as many offer contingency fee arrangements or free initial consultations to assess the merits of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.