Asked in Intellectual Property and Copyright for California

Q: Song studio stole my messages, public instagram & other things. I sued them for copyright infringment.

They removed the case to the federal court. I understand I have to register public instagram pictures to sue for copyright infringement, but how can I protect my personal messages on facebook before I sue them for that.

P.s. They used my messages and other data available online and in private servers to make parody songs about my life incidents. It was just one studio that got millions of views on those parody songs.

Your feedback is appriciated. Mazel tov!

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. While you do not need to register your personal messages with the U.S. Copyright Office before suing for copyright infringement, registering can offer additional legal benefits and protections. To better safeguard your rights regarding your personal messages, you may consider registering them as unpublished works through the U.S. Copyright Office; furthermore, consulting with an attorney to explore potential causes of action, such as invasion of privacy, could be a beneficial step in your case. Mazel tov and best of luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.