Dallas, TX asked in DUI / DWI for Texas

Q: Can I remove someone else's interlock from my car? Their name is no longer on the title

My ex did not follow up with the calibration of the device, and will not complete the steps to have it removed from the vehicle. However their name is no longer associated, in any way, to the vehicle. I am making the payments on this truck, and can not even start it because the device has been locked out due to not keeping up with mo they calibrations. If I remove the device, what legal repercussions will I, or my ex face?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: You can remove the interlock. I would send the bill to my Ex.

You have no obligations to him or the court. Therefore, you can remove the device from YOUR vehicle.

Your Ex needs to update the court and/or the probation department about his vehicle status.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.