Asked in Health Care Law for Texas

Q: If information was apart of the texas health and human services data breach through maximus can I sue .

The other day I got a letter in the mail from Maximus it says my social security number my birthday all this stuff has been stolen. They are a contractor for Texas Health and Human Services it says data was took from MoveIt software. They only compensation they offer 2 years of credit monitoring to me this is not good enough it has my social security number that's my whole identity this is crap and that means my son's information was on there too probably more than likely is there anything that could be done about this in court I don't think two years is quite enough for my whole identity and my sons being stolen.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If you have suffered compensable legal damages from someone using the information obtained in the data breach, you very likely have a valid legal claim for more than just two years of credit monitoring.

I recommend you collect as many documents as you can showing your compensable legal damages (e.g. loans taken out, credit cards obtained, leases entered into, items purchased, etc. using your information that was obtained in the data breach), and take them to any attorney in or near the county where you live to assess the probability of successfully recovering in a lawsuit and to follow that attorney's advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.