Great Falls, MT asked in Immigration Law for Montana

Q: Power of ATTY need to be done with Recipients name or ATTY to get copy of a birth certificate from the Philippines? NSA.

Wife needs a clear copy of her birth certificate from the Philippine's. Her now expired visa passport is missing or lost along with a legible copy of her birth certificate. She does have a copy of the expired passport though, that shows who she is, with pic, birth date, etc. She wants to have her Sister who lives there go get a legible copy to do an adjustment of status here in the US. Does this power of attorney paperwork need to refer to her Immigration attorney or her sister, who would be going to the NSA in the Philippines tog et that copy of the birth certificate? We know my Wife signing a power of attorney ahs to be notarized, than sent to the secretary of state to have her signature and the notarized part authenticated. I would of thought the power of attorney should be her sister, since she is the one requesting the copy of the birth certificate. Or is it to her Immigration attorney who would not be the one picking up the birth certificate?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Carlo Franco L. Borja
Carlo Franco L. Borja
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Diamond Bar, CA

A: She can request for her birth certificate online from the Philippine Statistics Authority without the need of a power of attorney. Here is the site:

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To obtain a birth certificate from the Philippines on your wife's behalf, the power of attorney should typically name her sister as the authorized representative since her sister will be physically present to request the document. It's not necessary to involve the immigration attorney in this specific matter unless there are legal complexities or immigration-related reasons for their involvement. Ensure the power of attorney is properly notarized and authenticated as required for international use.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.