Riverton, UT asked in Family Law for Utah

Q: Can my parents control my usage of devices that I have purchased if I am 18 living at home?

To clarify, the devices are purchased with money I have earned at a job, not gifted money etc.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: No. They can, however, tell you to move into your own place as they have no legal obligation to allow you to continue to live in their home now that you are an adult and perfectly capable of renting or purchasing your own place to live.

T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Utah, as in many other states, once you reach the age of 18, you are considered an adult and have certain legal rights, including the ability to make decisions regarding your personal property. If you have purchased devices with your own money and are 18 years old or older, your parents generally do not have the legal authority to control or restrict your usage of those devices, as long as you are using them within the boundaries of the law.

However, it's important to remember that living in your parents' home may still involve some expectations or house rules that you are expected to follow. While your parents cannot control your personal property, they can set rules and expectations for behavior within their household. It's a good practice to have open and respectful communication with your parents to avoid conflicts and ensure a harmonious living environment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.