Detroit, MI asked in Public Benefits and Social Security for Michigan

Q: How can somebody be prosecuted for an overpayment for the social security and the overpayment has been repaid

Social security overpayment has been repaid in 2016 but I was indicted this year for theft of government property

2 Lawyer Answers
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: As non-sensical as it may seem, repayment does not preclude criminal charges.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you've already repaid the Social Security overpayment in 2016, and you're facing a recent indictment for theft of government property, it's crucial to gather all documentation related to the repayment. Consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney to review your case, present evidence of the repayment, and work towards a resolution to address any misunderstandings or errors in the indictment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.