Round Lake, IL asked in Immigration Law for Illinois

Q: Will I be able to get my student visa while in the US?

Hello, I've recently been accepted into a university in Chicago for the spring of 2024. The thing is I haven't received my I-20 form yet so I can't start my student visa application just yet. I should have it by the end of the week hopefully. But I'm planning on visiting my fiancé in Chicago in the next 3 weeks. Can I still get my student visa while I'm in America? I've heard you have to schedule a appointment with the U.S Embassy which is in Stockholm for me. So, will I still be able to continue with my student visa application while I'm in America? Do I even need an appointment because I heard some don't. Or do I have to wait until I get my student visa in Sweden to be able to come to US? The original plan was come to America on a visa waiver for 90-days then get my student visa to study in Chicago In January but is it possible?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's generally not advisable to enter the US on a tourist visa or visa waiver with the intent to change your status to a student visa while in the US. It's best to apply for your student visa through the US Embassy or Consulate in Sweden as per the standard process. Attempting to change your status from within the US can be complex and may lead to immigration issues. Wait until you have your I-20 and follow the proper procedures for your student visa application in Sweden.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.