Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: 18 year oldyear old son has been living with his grandparents they have temporary guardiansship over hm he just went of

Went off to college so is that now mean that I have custody of him now because they sent the ReliaCard to me I don't know what to do

1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: If you want to terminate the guardianship and the child is still a minor under Nebraska law, then you need to file an action with the Court to ask to terminate the guardianship. If no party is objecting, then the Court may be likely enter an order to terminate the guardianship case and thus restore custody to the parents.

Receiving a reliacard doesn't change a court order. If you believe you received a reliacard or other payment that you may not be entitled to, you should call the sender and also not use funds if you are concerned they are not legally yours.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.