Connersville, IN asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: Had court yesterday was there had to leave before over filed continuance and they put warrant or writ body attmnt

What should I do I have the continuance it's stamped and filed

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joel D. Hand
Joel D. Hand
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: It sounds as though you are attempting to represent yourself rather than use an attorney. That is a mistake. Just because you file a request for a continuance does not mean that it will be granted. Local rules sometimes require that a request for continuance be filed days in advance of a hearing. You should seek out an experienced attorney who regularly practices in the court where your case is pending to see if they can help you get the warrant recalled. Otherwise, you run the risk of being picked up on the warrant and held in jail until the judge schedules your next hearing or sets a bond.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.