Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: I have a question about the legality of a sentence imposed by the local court against my wife.

My wife recently plead guilty to some bad charges that she incurred while we were separated last year. Part of her sentence is that she has to report to a daily reporting center 4 days a week and attend drug classes for several hours a day. The issue is that she was not charged with drugs, drugs were not involved or even alleged. I suspect that certain court officials are being paid under the table for sending everyone that they possibly can to this program. I want to know how the court can force someone who hasn't had a drug charge in many years to not only attend this program, but also have to spend an hour and a half per day commuting to and fro? How can this be justified? I ask that any of you lawyers who are offended by my suggestion of corruption in the court to refrain from responding, please, as it only wastes time. Spend some time in Marion County and you can see it for yourselves, with police and court officials.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Your opinion about the Sentence is irrelevant. Her lawyer might file a Motion To Modify The Sentence, especially after several months of this. But it sounds like she had to agree to alot of supervision to avoid incarceration. VOP could involve serving the Sentence in full.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.