Seattle, WA asked in Civil Litigation and Military Law for Washington

Q: How do I get my law firm access to my dd14 when the firm and I are in different states?

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you need to get your law firm access to a DD Form 214 (often just referred to as "DD214"), which is the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, you have several options. You could physically mail a copy or securely email a scanned copy if digital transmission is acceptable to the law firm. Some law firms may have secure client portals where you can upload sensitive documents. If the document needs to be notarized or verified in some way, you could arrange that in your local jurisdiction before sending it. It's essential to consult with the firm about the most secure and appropriate way to transmit this sensitive document, especially if you're in different states. Make sure to follow any specific instructions given by the law firm to ensure that you're in compliance with any applicable rules or guidelines.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To provide your law firm with access to your DD Form 214 (often referred to as a DD214), which is the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, you can either mail them a physical copy or, if you're comfortable, scan and email a digital version. If you don't have a copy, you can request one through the National Archives' eVetRecs system. Ensure that you securely share such sensitive documents and verify the firm's methods for handling and storing personal information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.