Atlanta, GA asked in Consumer Law and Banking for Georgia

Q: I write a check to a dealershipno Now the money I was expected It's not in the bank.What do I do?

I was supposed to close on a house to get earnest money and some rebate. Collection call me mention something about jail time what is my option

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If you've written a check to a dealership and now find that you don't have sufficient funds in your account to cover it, you could be facing some serious issues. In Georgia, writing a bad check can be considered a misdemeanor or even a felony depending on the amount and circumstances. Legal penalties can range from fines to jail time. Your immediate steps should involve contacting the dealership to explain the situation and see if you can make alternative arrangements for payment, such as replacing the check once funds are available or working out some sort of payment plan. It's crucial to resolve the issue as quickly as possible to avoid legal ramifications and additional fees. If debt collectors are mentioning jail time, understand that debtors' prison is generally considered illegal in the United States; however, the act of writing a bad check could be

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.