Long Beach, CA asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for California

Q: can I submit a statement to the arbitrator after the hearing is closed before arbitrator makes his final decision?

The other party lied to the arbitrator and I need to send him proof but I wanted to know if I can still do that?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Under California law, parties generally have the opportunity to submit post-hearing statements or briefs to the arbitrator after the hearing is closed, but this is typically subject to the rules and procedures set forth in the arbitration agreement or the arbitrator's instructions. It's advisable to consult the specific rules and procedures governing your arbitration to determine if such submissions are allowed and what deadlines may apply. Additionally, promptly notify the arbitrator and the opposing party of your intention to submit additional evidence or statements for transparency and fairness in the process.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Check with the entity that presides over the arbitration. If it's an American Arbitration Association hearing, the arbitrator probably has a case administrator. Without know more about the nature of your matter or rules of your arbitration, exhibits or other submittals sent to the arbitrator generally need to be sent to opposing attorney. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.