Memphis, TN asked in Probate for Mississippi

Q: My father passed away in 2022 of COVID. My father had a will my stepmom has told me my father left everything to her.

She has not probate the will .me and my dad was really close .and for him to cut me out of his will puts red flags up since stepmom has not probated the can I get a copy of will or what is my rights

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You can file an application to probate your father’s estate intestate and ask to be appointed independent administrator of his estate.

If stepmom has a will that leaves everything to her, she will oppose your application and will have to tender the will to the probate court and ask that it be probated.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.