Beatrice, NE asked in Contracts for Illinois

Q: Can I as a contract driver sue a previous trucking company for distress?

A previous company that I drove with, after requesting that I drive a vehicle without ensuring safety sent another driver to pick up truck and I was forced to drive with this unknown man or clear out my truck in under an hour (cancelling my contract). Due to previous trauma in my life I felt incredibly unsafe to drive this stranger and this truck was essentially my home for the better part of two years so in being forced to move it in such little time I lost a lot of my personal belongings on top of not getting paid. This put me into a depression that caused a cascade of events in my life leaving me on a down spiral. I am curious if it’s possible to sue this company for distress or if that’s a thing a lawyer would touch? I literally did not break any park of the agreement but these companies do put in their contract that they have right to cancel.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: An Illinois attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for a week. It could depend on the nature of the safety issue and the reasonableness of your reluctance to drive, among other factors. You would need to reach out to local attorneys to try to set up a free initial consult for a more definitive overview. I'm sorry about your ordeal. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.