Columbus, OH asked in Landlord - Tenant for Ohio

Q: Can I move roommate belongings into another room without waiting for court ruling? Please read details

Hello, I have this roommate (His name not in lease) supposing to rent a room in my apartment. However he isn't paying rent me for a while. I'm about to start an eviction process but I was wondering if it was legal for me to remove is belonging from the bedroom? I'm not trying to throw them outside the apartment but I'd like just to free the bedroom. He could use another (not so comfortable) place in the apartment as long he refuses to leave until the eviction ends. Waiting for an answer thanks ahead.

State: Ohio

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Ohio, you generally can't unilaterally remove a roommate's belongings from their living space without following the proper eviction process, even if their name is not on the lease. Doing so could be considered an illegal eviction or "self-help eviction," which is not allowed under Ohio law and could expose you to legal penalties.

If your roommate is not paying rent, you'll need to go through the proper legal procedures for eviction. This typically involves giving a notice to vacate and then going to court if the roommate does not comply. Only after receiving a court order can you lawfully remove their belongings and reclaim the space.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.