Herndon, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: I got 2 tickets.

One for failure to stop at a sign & one for going 80/55. Can I go to court for the first offense and just pay for the speeding? I’m 17 and was driving without a license.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David G. Parker
David G. Parker pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Juvenile traffic case policies are very much dependent on the local judge's preferred way of handling them. Although the ultimate goal of the juvenile court system is rehabilitation rather than punishment, that does not necessarily mean that the judges will impose light penalties (as they also want to impress upon young drivers the importance of following the rules of the road). Dress appropriately, be respectful, and show contrition to the judge if the charges cannot be contested. Penalties imposed may include driving school, community service hours, and/or a fine. But sometimes the judge may agree to dismiss or reduce a charge if their terms are met by a certain date and your record isn't bad. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.