Chicago, IL asked in Health Care Law for Texas

Q: What rights do I have if my doctor quit and gave me no notice whatsoever. I wasn’t able to get any of my medical records

They closed the office and The phone number is disconnected. I was just notified yesterday. I called back to get my medical records and the phone number had already been disconnected. I’ve been going there over 17 years. I am disabled and have multiple health issues. I am on multiple medications that I can’t stop taking abruptly without horrible side effects or getting sick. My follow up appointment is this coming Friday. So I will be completely out of medication. Who can I go to for help and what are my options and my legal rights?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Texas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for three weeks. I'm sorry for your ordeal. If you've been working with the same pharmacy, they might have your prescriptions on record. You could look into finding a new physician for a renewal. Also, you might be able to reconstruct parts of your file from your insurance company's records. Good luck

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You can choose any new provider you wish. They will request relevant medical records from your previous provider. In most instances, a new provider does not need, or want, seventeen years of your medical records.

You can also send a written request for your medical records. A healthcare usually has thirty days to respond.

The most important records to insure a smooth transition in your care will most likely be in the possession of healthcare providers other than your primary care physician. Request records from the laboratories who ran your blood tests, the radiologists who interpreted your CTs, MRIs, PETs, ultrasounds, and other tests. Get the report from your last colonoscopy from the gastroenterologist who did it. Etc.

I note many providers today have online portals through which patients have access to their own medical records. For example, many providers use LabCorp to process their bloodwork, and LabCorp has its own online portal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.