Southfield, MI asked in Adoption and Family Law for Michigan

Q: Can a 3rd party petition to unseal adoption records in Michigan?

I am a father who adopted my non biological son 9 years ago, being his foster parent and being the bio-parents rights were terminated. The records are sealed. A man who has a child with a sibling of the bio-mom is wanting to have a court unseal it to dig up possible dirt on her, and all this for custody of the other child. I have not been asked nor do they have my permission. Is this legal? Do I need an attorney? Do I have a say (in Michigan)? Thanks ahead of time!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Not sure legally if this is your fight. I also do not think this other man has grounds for the court to unseal the record. Obviously it's a concern enough for you to warrant a consultation with an attorney. In particular, I would ask about standing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.