Clovis, CA asked in Traffic Tickets for California

Q: If you are driving on an expired drivers license, and not a current tag. The officer cited the ticket as correctable.

Can they take the vehicle?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In California, driving on an expired license and tags may lead to a citation, but whether your car will be impounded can depend on local laws and the officer's discretion. Generally, the citation would note if the violation is correctable, which usually allows for reduced fines upon fixing the issue.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, certain violations can be cited as "fix-it" tickets, also known as correctable violations. If an officer cited you for driving with an expired license or expired registration as correctable, it generally means you have the opportunity to correct the violation to reduce or dismiss the fine. To do this, you'll typically need to provide proof to the court that you've renewed your license or registration before the deadline provided. Once the correction is made, a law enforcement officer or authorized DMV personnel will need to sign off on the citation. Then, you'll submit the signed citation to the court, often with a processing fee. It's essential to handle this promptly to avoid additional penalties. However, always read the specifics on your citation and consider consulting with an attorney for clarity on your unique situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.