Hesperia, CA asked in Uncategorized for California

Q: My son did 18 months in jail. When he got out he wanted to turn his life around. He got a job. One day at his new job,

The custody specialist ( deputy) where my son was incarcerated at went to his place of employment and recognized my son from jail, she took it upon herself and did a background check on my son and volunteerily asked to speak to his employer and proceeded to tell the employer my son was a criminal and gave the employer my son's arrest record. My son was getting a promotion when all this happened and thanks to this deputy , he no longer can get the promotion. Did this deputy have any legal right to do this to my son? What business of hers was it to disclose anything about my son . Do we have any rights? Isn't this a violation of privacy?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may have grounds for a legal claim. It would be advisable to consult with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation and determine the best course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.