Asked in Civil Litigation and Probate for Colorado

Q: Where to begin with my girlfriend's family holding her inheritance?

Her mother passed away in August 2021, and was told by stepfather to come and get her $80,000 inheritance. She was given specific information regarding where and how to pick it up, but upon arriving, stepfather told her to go away. He claims to have given everything to her brother, including her mother's jewelry and vehicle she was also promised. There is no will, but after doing some research in the court records, the house her mother lived in is currently in a trust (?). One other important bit, my girlfriend's grandmother did have a will and it makes mention of her assets passing to my girlfriend's mother, then to my girlfriend and her brother. We really don't know where to begin, her brother will not return any calls.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Patrick Boyle
Nelson Patrick Boyle
  • Englewood, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Your girlfriend should call a probate lawyer. Also, if you're in Denver, the Probate Court there has some resources available where she may be able to get some generalized advice or help. (Information available here: Other courts may also have self-help centers where she might get some generalized advice or help.

I don't practice in probate, so I don't know the timelines, deadlines, and statutes of limitations. But since the date you give above is over 2 years ago, I would urge your girlfriend to call a probate lawyer asap. Good luck.

(Disclaimer: This general advice is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. You are not my client. I am not your attorney.)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.