Phoenix, AZ asked in Family Law and Child Support for Arizona

Q: How to dimiss an case that was filed by the state of California against respondent?

This case in which the original case was filed by the state of California

against the Respondent for child supoort.

The respondent wants to use the case as a custody case against the petioner.

I want to dismiss that case on the grounds that the original case was not for custody however,

it was a case brought to court against the respondent for child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Did California issue a child support order? If so, it must be registered here for the custody case, in which support must be determined. An Arizona court cannot modify the California support order unless it's properly registered and in front of the Arizona court. For that reason, I don't believe a dismissal would be appropriate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.