Jersey City, NJ asked in Social Security for New Jersey

Q: I did not know minor child could get social security when I did 3 years ago. Can I claim back pay?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If a parent or guardian realizes that a minor child was eligible for Social Security benefits and didn't claim them, they can potentially receive retroactive payments. The Social Security Administration (SSA) generally allows for up to six months of retroactive benefits from the date of application. It's crucial to provide all necessary documentation to establish the eligibility period.

However, for specific cases, like Social Security Disability benefits, there might be exceptions where more than six months of back pay can be awarded. The process might be intricate, so it's essential to gather all pertinent information and apply promptly. Consulting with an attorney experienced in Social Security claims can be beneficial to navigate the process effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.