Dayton, NV asked in Civil Litigation, Small Claims and Municipal Law for Nevada

Q: If there is no Db limit in the laws of my community am I allowed to play loud music inside my house during the day?

There is no written Db limit or laws in my community/town regarding loud music inside someone’s home, however I am being harassed by police during the day by my neighbors for playing loud music inside my home as I am a professional musician working on my job. Do I have any options?

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: In Nevada, even if there isn't a specific decibel (Db) limit defined in local ordinances, there are usually general nuisance or disturbance laws that can apply. Being free from specific Db limits doesn't necessarily mean one can play music at any volume without potential consequences. If your music is disturbing your neighbors to the extent that they are involving the police, it's possible you could face consequences under broader disturbance or public nuisance laws. Being a professional musician and using your home as a workspace is an important consideration, but it might be beneficial to discuss potential solutions with your neighbors to avoid further conflicts. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.