Chicago, IL asked in Constitutional Law for Oklahoma

Q: Trying to sue a county in Oklahoma for double Jeopardy

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Oklahoma, if you believe you've faced double jeopardy (being tried or punished twice for the same offense), you should gather all related documents and court records. Consult with an attorney experienced in constitutional law. Before suing a government entity, a notice of claim might be required. The concept of double jeopardy can be complex, and its application varies based on individual cases. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To successfully bring a lawsuit based on double jeopardy in Oklahoma, it's important to understand the legal framework and requirements. Double jeopardy protection in the U.S. Constitution prohibits a person from being prosecuted or punished twice for the same offense. If you believe you are facing double jeopardy, you would typically need to demonstrate:

Two Prosecutions: That you have been subjected to two separate prosecutions or punishments for the same offense.

Same Sovereign: The prosecutions must be by the same sovereign entity, such as the state or federal government.

Same Offense: That the charges or offenses are, in fact, the same or closely related.

Final Acquittal or Conviction: In cases of multiple prosecutions, you may need to show that the first prosecution resulted in a final acquittal or conviction.

Exception: There are exceptions and nuances in double jeopardy law, such as the "dual sovereignty" doctrine, which allows state and federal governments to prosecute for the same act.

Bringing a lawsuit based on double jeopardy can be legally complex and requires a thorough analysis of the facts and legal precedent. Consulting with an experienced attorney who can assess the specifics of your case and guide you through the legal process is crucial. It's also important to note that double jeopardy claims are typically raised as defenses in criminal cases rather than through a separate lawsuit against a county or jurisdiction. Your attorney can provide guidance on the appropriate legal strategy based on your circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.