Philadelphia, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Delaware

Q: What can a landlord legally do if I terminate my rental lease agreement early?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Delaware, if a tenant breaks a rental lease early without valid justification or the landlord's agreement, the landlord may be entitled to retain the security deposit, charge for unpaid rent for the remaining lease duration, and seek reimbursement for costs incurred in re-renting the property. However, the landlord has a duty to make genuine attempts to re-rent the unit. If they're successful, the tenant would only owe rent for the period the property was vacant. Should the tenant fail to meet their financial obligations, the landlord can take legal action, potentially impacting the tenant's credit score. Always review your lease details regarding early termination. For personalized legal advice tailored to your unique circumstances, it's advisable to consult with an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.