Chicago, IL asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Illinois

Q: While driving my truck got ticket from police that i moved before school bus goes(stop sign arm put back in) in indiana

Trial set in march. But i live in illinois. Got a lawyer from indiana but he said doesnt know about illinois law so should hire illinois attorney. Also he is asking about photo or video of that day and it happened year ago. Nothing know about yet. What should i do? Does anyone know conviction that might got? Also possible way to change amend different violation?Thanks

2 Lawyer Answers
Theodore J. Harvatin
Theodore J. Harvatin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Springfield, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: He can file a motion for pretrial discovery of the video.

If you are convicted, your Illinois drivers license will be revoked. You will need to obtain a drug and alcohol evaluation complete all necessary classes and have a hearing with the secretary state. If you refuse the testing that refusal is sent to Illinois, you will be suspended for a year if this is your first offense. That suspension can happen even if you are not convicted of DUI.

He should try and get a disposition of reckless driving.

Charles Candiano and Cheryl Powell agree with this answer

Charles Candiano
Charles Candiano
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Illinois and Indiana are driver license compact states which means that they share information concerning driving convictions. Mr. Harvatin already explained the consequences you face under Illinois law if you are convicted in Indiana. Many school buses are equipped with video for the express purpose of catching and convicting individuals who violate school bus stop arm laws. If you requested a trial, the judge probably ordered that discovery be exchanged. Moreover, under Indiana law, the prosecutor is obligated to provide all evidence that he/she is aware of, regardless of whether that evidence is inculpatory or exculpatory. If a video exists, your attorney probably has it. Ask your attorney. Why are you paying your attorney if you are seeking answers to your questions in an online forum?

As Mr. Harvatin pointed out, your attorney can probably negotiate a lesser plea, depending on your age and your past driving record. These and other questions you may have our best put to your attorney who is probably handling your matter for a flat fee that you have already paid (or will be required to pay in full before trial).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.