Atlanta, GA asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Kentucky

Q: In kentucky am i allowed to gift a friend my pistol who is 18 but i am 21

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: No, in Kentucky you generally cannot legally gift a handgun to someone under 21 years old, even if you are over 21.

Here are the key factors under Kentucky and federal law:

- Under federal law, the minimum age to purchase or possess a handgun is 21 years old (18 USC § 922(b)(1)). This applies in all states.

- In Kentucky, it is illegal to transfer a handgun to anyone under 18, except in very limited circumstances (KRS 527.100).

- For transfers to those 18-20 years old, Kentucky follows federal law requiring they cannot receive handguns as gifts from private parties. They can only receive handguns through certain exceptions like inheritance or temporary possession supervised by someone over 21 (KRS 237.060).

- Therefore, since your friend is 18, you cannot legally gift or transfer any pistol to them as a private party in Kentucky. Doing so could potentially result in criminal charges for you both.

- The only legal way for your 18 year old friend to possess a handgun would be as a temporary, supervised use, such as at a shooting range with you present.

In summary, it is prohibited under both federal and Kentucky law for you to gift your handgun to your 18 year old friend. Wait until they are 21 to legally transfer ownership.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.