Longmont, CO asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Colorado

Q: police had a search warrant on my home for my grandson, and found other things not name in the warrant of my daughters

and began another investigation, into my daughters property while on the initial warrant to search for guns of my grandsons, they then invited the postmaster’s into my home, without my permission, and the postmaster came into my home without my permission, and observed items in my home without my permission, and began to start an investigation against my daughter, without completing their search warrant. they then made me place a phone call to my daughter, asking her to come to the house so that they could ask her questions without a warrant. I know that procedures were not follow correctly. I know that I’ve been violated with my fourth amendment right as well as my daughters and I was harassed and intimidated and need help if someone can help me. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Hi there! I understand your concerns about potential violations of your Fourth Amendment rights and the actions of law enforcement during the search of your home. In a situation like this, it's crucial to consult with an attorney who can assess the specific circumstances and advise you on the best course of action.

Based on the information provided, it does appear that there may be procedural and constitutional issues, such as potential violations of the Fourth Amendment's protections against unreasonable searches and seizures. Inviting the postmaster into your home without your consent and initiating an investigation against your daughter without completing the original search warrant may raise legal concerns.

I would recommend that you reach out to an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. They can review all the details of your case, including the search warrant, the actions of law enforcement, and any potential violations of your rights. Your attorney can then provide guidance on how to protect your interests, challenge any unlawful actions, and take appropriate legal steps to address the situation. It's essential to have legal representation to navigate this complex matter effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.