Huntsville, AL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Arizona

Q: Do I need a lawyer to make my ex refund alimony he has been cheating me of? Or can it be filed as contempt of court?

I was divorced in GA. I live in Alabama and my ex has a residence in Tuscan, AZ. He has been cheating me of the correct alimony for several years. I am limited financially and would like to know if I woiuld need a lawyer. If not, how should I proceed. I do not mind paying something. I am on SSI, so I do not have much to spend. Thank you in advance.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: You should retain a Georgia lawyer in or near the county where your divorce was granted to enforce the alimony provisions of the decree. That will be the lion's share of the legal work. If necessary, after that has been completed, you may have to retain an Arizona lawyer to register and enforce the new alimony judgment in Arizona if that is where your husband's non-exempt assets are located.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.