Littleton, CO asked in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for Colorado

Q: A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer. My PC missed it, do I have recourse?

I just met with a doctor at RMCC and he informed me that I likely had it for seven-eight years and I'm just now getting treatment for the 8 tumors I have. Do I have a case for malpractice? I feel I should have some funds to compensate for the crap I have to go through now, and expenses that I'm facing

2 Lawyer Answers

A: It depends on whether your PCP’s conduct fell below the standard of care.

For most men, prostate cancer screening is recommended starting at age 50. A PSA blood test is effective in screening for prostate cancer but it isn’t 100%.

Questions to ask yourself include:

1) Are you 50?

2) Did your PCP recommend a blood test to screen for cancer?

3) Did you follow his recommendation?

4) What was the result of your PSA test?

If your PSA test indicated you might have prostate cancer and your PCP did not refer you to an oncologist for treatment, his conduct may very well have fallen below the standard of care.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: I'm sorry for your ordeal. About your question of having a case, a free initial consult could help provide a meaningful answer there. If a law firm believed there was a possible grounds, they would consult with health care professionals after retrieving the medical records. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.