Asked in Domestic Violence for Kentucky

Q: I got a DVO on my husband. Can I drop DVO? Also can commonwealth of Ky pick it up after I drop it? We want to work on it

I went to court on Monday the 16 and they said my husband couldn’t have contact with daughter for 3 years without supervision. I’ve decided that I want to work it out and us go to marriage counseling I don’t want things to be like this. What happens if commonwealth picks it up what should I do to then. I generally want to work this out and he was civil and wanted to work on it when communication occurred cause of our daughter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: No, you cannot drop it. No, the commonwealth will not pick it up. This is a civil action. Your only recourse is to go back to the judge and ask him or her to modify the dvo to grant the relief you seek.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.