Carnegie, PA asked in Contracts and Collections for Pennsylvania

Q: I just got a bill from a plumbing company. Work was done by the guy he bought out and he billed me right before he sold.

The original plumber sent me an unitemized bill one year after the work. The verbal quote was less than 1/3 of the bill. I asked for more information. He sold the company. I called the new owner and he said I did not have an outstanding bill and all was good. One year later he bills me for the work from the old plumber. Can he do this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
W. J. Winterstein Jr.
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Boyertown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: "Can he"?

Sure. Anybody with a couple hundred dollars for the court costs can sue anybody else for any reason.

But can the plaintiff win on what gets filed?

There's the rub, lol. From what you say, it sounds like this plumber's claim would fail. BUT, the problem is that it seems to be all oral, so that's a proof problem, and a fight boils down to your word against his about what was agreed to.

Probably your best course is to respond to your recent billing with a letter explaining why you don't think you should have to pay anything.

The plumber can, in theory, sue you for the unpaid amount, or report the unpaid bill to credit reporting agencies (if the plumber is a member), and then your credit rating suffers.

This may come down to a business decision about what's the least expensive way to resolve this, and that's your job, not any lawyer's.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.