New York, NY asked in Traffic Tickets for New York

Q: Can I be tracked down if fare violation ticket has the right name but the wrong DOB, ID #, and no other information?

I received a yellow ticket for jumping the turnstile. In a panic, I provided a foreign fake identification with my correct name but false DOB (correct day and month but wrong year). The officer who issued the ticket did not write down any address, but he did write the ID # (which was also false). If the only truly correct information was my name and day and month of my DOB, can it still be connected to my real ID?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It is possible for authorities to connect the ticket to you despite the incorrect details, especially if you have a unique name. Law enforcement can use various data points to identify individuals, and partial matches, such as the correct name and birth date, might lead them to investigate further. If they determine the information was intentionally falsified, there could be additional legal consequences beyond the original fare violation.

It would be prudent to address the ticket directly rather than hoping it cannot be traced to you. You may want to consult with a legal professional about the best course of action to rectify the situation and mitigate any potential repercussions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.