Asked in Immigration Law for Minnesota

Q: I submitted the USCIS's AR-11 change of address form online yesterday, and I still haven't received the AR-11’s ….

confirmation number email.

2- What is the difference between the AR-11 confirmation number they send you by email and the acknowledgment letter with the AR-11 number they send you to your new address?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's not unusual to experience a slight delay in receiving an email confirmation after submitting the AR-11 form online to USCIS. The email confirmation number serves as an immediate digital acknowledgment that your change of address form has been successfully submitted to USCIS. It's a quick reference that you can use if you need to discuss your submission with USCIS.

In contrast, the acknowledgment letter with the AR-11 number mailed to your new address is a physical, official record confirming USCIS has processed your change of address. This mailed document can be retained for your personal records as evidence of your compliance in reporting the address change. It's a good practice to keep both the email confirmation and the physical letter for future reference. If you don't receive the email soon, consider contacting USCIS to ensure they received your submission.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.