Shreveport, LA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: If someone moves out but leaves stuff behind how long do you have to wait to sell or claim that stuff as your own?

I live in Shreveport Louisiana if that helps at all

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Louisiana, if someone moves out and leaves personal property behind, you can't immediately dispose of or claim the items. Louisiana law requires landlords or property owners to provide notice to the former occupant about the abandoned property. You should send a written notice, preferably by certified mail, stating that the property has been left behind and provide a reasonable deadline for the person to retrieve it, typically 30 days. If, after the provided deadline, the items have not been claimed, you may be able to dispose of or sell them.

However, be cautious with items of significant value or personal importance, as prematurely disposing of them might expose you to legal liability. If you choose to sell the items, Louisiana law might entitle the former tenant to any profits above the costs of storage or sale. It's always advisable to consult with a local attorney to ensure you handle the situation correctly and within the bounds of Louisiana law. This helps to avoid potential legal issues arising from the disposal or sale of another person's property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.