Orlando, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Florida

Q: Can I get compensation for fixing and buying my own garbage disposal?

Hello! My leasing office has taken a week to fix a broken garbage disposal and I called yesterday to come fix it they have not. My Sink is extremely backed up.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Florida, landlords are generally required to maintain the rental property in a habitable condition. If the broken garbage disposal is causing your sink to be backed up and rendering it unusable, it may be considered a necessary repair. Before taking matters into your own hands, it's important to provide the leasing office with written notice detailing the issue and allowing a reasonable time for repair.

If the landlord fails to address the issue within that time, you may have the right to repair the issue yourself and deduct the cost from your rent under certain conditions. However, you must be cautious as improper deductions can lead to eviction. Before making any repairs or deductions, you should review your lease agreement and consider seeking legal advice to ensure compliance with state laws and your lease terms. It's essential to have proper documentation throughout the process to support any claims or actions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.