Atmore, AL asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Criminal Law and Social Security for Alabama

Q: has there been any cases in Florida that a 15-year sentence been overturned in appeal on a state level

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Each case is unique, with appeals typically based on procedural errors, incorrect application of the law, or new evidence. The success of an appeal depends on the specific facts and legal issues involved. You can research case law or consult with an attorney who has experience in criminal appeals to get an understanding of the circumstances under which such sentences have been overturned in the past. It's important to act within the timelines set for appeals and to present a well-grounded argument that demonstrates a significant error in the original trial. If you believe there was an error in your case, it might be in your interest to speak with an attorney who can evaluate the merits of a potential appeal.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.