Columbia, MD asked in Domestic Violence for Maryland

Q: My sister's boyfriend openly threatened me. He's an ex-marine and I believe he's serious, I don't know what to do.

I'm 36, recently graduated nursing school, moved back home with my mom and dad because it's close to the hospital I work at. My sister and boyfriend live in the basement. I got into an argument with my sister and her boyfriend who's an ex marine got involved and openly threatened me. I've been bullied by my sister throughout my life, so when she threatens me I can brush it off, but I've never known him to make idle threats. I'm genuinely rattled and I told my mom and dad, they want to kick him out, but I'm worried he might retaliate. I don't have any recording of his threat. I haven't saved up enough to move out yet and get my own place. I'm currently staying at a friend's house because I'm scared to go to sleep there. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If the event occurred within the last 30 days, you may be able to file for a Peace Order. You should be aware that if you file a Peace Order, it is possible that he will file one against you. If the Peace Order is granted, he will be forced to leave the house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.