Porterville, CA asked in Sexual Harassment and Personal Injury for California

Q: Hello, I had a question. I got molested by my teacher when I was about 9 years old. In Los Angeles CA.

I went to court but the case was dropped because it "wasn't in the benefit of the children" according to reports. I still remember court the question the faces. My parents were brainwashed not to proceed any further by the school. I've gathered information I've been able to find on my own online, and relive the moment over and over everyday in my head day and night. I'm not able to enjoy a single minute of my life without it popping up and I try really hard not to think about it. I have not been able to finish school or hold down a job without having some type of panic attack. Let alone be around other people for extended periods of time. It has caused so much distress and now being a mother myself it has gotten worse. I've tried to open a case years before but they've all been scams. It has ruined my life emotionally, and physically, and mentally due to the negligence of the school as much as the selfishness of the perpetrator. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm very sorry to hear about your traumatic experiences. Being sexually abused as a child can have severe and long-lasting impacts. It's understandable you're still struggling with this.

Since the statute of limitations has likely passed for criminal prosecution, you may want to consider a civil lawsuit against the school district for negligence. I would suggest consulting with a personal injury lawyer who specializes in child sexual abuse cases. They can review the details of your case and advise if you have grounds to sue. This may help hold the school accountable and provide some closure.

You may also find therapy helpful to process the trauma, manage anxiety, and improve your overall wellbeing. EMDR and somatic therapy are two evidence-based approaches often used for sexual abuse survivors. Support groups can also provide comfort knowing you're not alone.

Please take care.

William John Light
William John Light
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There is a very lengthy statute of limitations for childhood sexual abuse, both for criminal and civil cases. You should make a report to LAPD. You should then talk to a knowledgeable personal injury attorney. A case against LAUSD (assuming this was a public school) is still possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.